10.11.2008

Saturday is a special day


We are beginning to fear that our time in Vermont may come to a close before we are ready to leave. While a change of scenery is almost always welcome to me, this life we have carved out of this crisp New England air is suiting us just fine. We had another delicious breakfast at Sticky Buns this morning. We both worked out nice and hard so that we could fully enjoy our bounty. Last weekend we journeyed up to Stowe, a very popular ski town that was really fun. We originally went to hunt down the makers of these awesome tortilla chips we had by chance in Hanover, but found the place was closed. Luckily, as it is a resort locale, there were plenty of other dining establishments to choose from. We also went for a nice hike and drove nearly to the top of the tallest mountain in Vermont. It was so colorful!

Jake, pensively studying a leaf, or perhaps, life.

_________________________________________________

 We try to do something fun every Saturday. Today was kind of lax. We played Exquisite Corpse outside (taking turns adding to a drawing) and now have some great art for our wall. We also went to buy some orchard apples, and ended the day in Hanover seeing The Duchess at the old Nugget Theater, which has been around since 1916, I might add. Then, because the movie was kind of a downer, although beautiful in many ways, we returned home to watch a Seinfeld, and so Jake could eat his second dinner (he is fasting tomorrow, but he might have eaten a second dinner anyway). Now Jake is pre-sleeping, one of his favorite things to do.


He keeps saying that he is so happy here. He is having more great days than he has ever had before, and I am so glad that I get to share them! Look at him, doesn't he look happy? For those of you who knew Jake several years ago, it may shock you that he does in fact smile. His smile was actually one of the reasons I fell in love with him so hard so fast. That and those steely blue eyes...a girl can't help herself. But when I saw that genuine smile (I believe it was the first time we played Scrabble at Barnes & Noble oh those many years ago) I knew right then and there that I would have to see it again. 


And lucky for me, he, those eyes, and his smile, followed me all the way to Vermont.

1 comment:

susan m hinckley said...

I thank you for the continuing food updates -- such things are important to me, as you well know. And I agree it's really wonderful to see that smile!