10.12.2008

i think it's pronounced FOILage


The leaves here just don't stop! They are getting more beautiful every day. We are completely surrounded by rolling hills covered head to toe, or
 rather, bough to trunk, in hot reds, cool yellows, and fiery oranges. If I were a real photographer, I would capture every hue, but I am not even an 
amateur, so I fear I will have to rely mostly on my memories rather than photos.




Our ward building is getting major reconstructive surgery, and this was our last Sunday in the building. It was very emotional for many people who have lived here their whole lives, and it was very sweet to know how much the building means to them. For the next undisclosed amount of time, we will be meeting in Montpelier, which will be a little bit of a drive for us. We were very spoiled having the building so near our home, and now I suppose we must pay for taking it for granted. But a Sunday morning drive will be very nice, especially this time of year, and I'm sure it will all just be part of our Vermont adventure! A lot of the building is being salvaged, and we thought about claiming a pew and having it shipped to Arizona to await our arrival, but decided against it. The blue-green upholstery would only clash with our living room set.

Right now we are sitting on the back lawn of Debevoise Hall. I in a hammock and Jake in an Adirondack chair, soaking up this Vermont air. I sense some spontaneous back lawn poetry coming on...

He writes what he knows in his orange book
I steal glances sideways.
The grass is crunchy with dying life, slowly sinking back to the beginning
The tree is parted, smiling at me, knotted wrinkled old
Sun warms, cloud cools, blue remains.
I steal glances sideways.

And there you have it. Spontaneous back lawn poetry. I have a degree in that.

5 comments:

april said...

i'm loving all this new england lovin'. glad you are falling in love with the fall here. great poem and you make me want a pew too.

susan m hinckley said...

Who taught you to write like that? Because I don't remember doing it. Your blog makes me really happy. Life is good.

Brian said...

I love your photos and beautiful poem! Love, Annie

Amanda Cheniae said...

I am so jealous of the scenery surrounding you! Just keep soaking it up like a sponge!

Lynley and Levi said...

they didnt offer spontaneous black lawn poetry here at SUU. lame. idda joined