1.31.2009

And a pair of fancy boots fancy boots fancy boots...


As always, food comes first.
Here are some black bean burgers I made from scratch. I know Hannah will be jealous!
I also wilted some spinach with olive oil and cracked pepper to put on top. They were very good.


After we made them we put some in the freezer for later, and they were just as good if not better! Although next time I think we will cook them on the grill so they can get a little bit crispier.

So here is that Cowboy Spaghetti I've been prattling on about. It really is delicious. A fiber-riffic vegetarian delight! Just get a can of black beans, kidney beans, and corn (remember low sodium...and rinse them well to clean off any of that canned sticky sodium-laden juice) and heat it all with a jar of non-chunky marinara sauce. Then throw in some of that crushed green chile I do love so much, some chili pepper, and some cumin and you will be good to go. I like it over thick spaghetti noodles. It is so good, and I must toot my own horn for this one.

I am a culinary genius.

This shows the difference in portion sizes between Jake and I. Usually I eat on a salad plate (I'm trying to drop 12-15 pounds...there, I said it for everyone to see) and so I have been trying to control my portions. Whatever I eat for dinner has to fit on a salad plate. --I know the corner of that roll is hanging off a titch...I'm so bad-- However, because we live with other people, it's always a gamble as to what will be actually in the kitchen at any given time, so sometimes I have to limit myself to the middle section of the big plates. As you can see, Jake does not limit himself much. However, he is trying to gain 12-15 pounds...so...there.



In other news, our heat has been going out on occassion. There have been two weekends now where the heat has just stopped working. And because if you stand next to a window and can literally feel those icy Maine winds gently caressing your skin, whatever heat we do have does not last long. This is how a few Saturdays ago was spent until we finally had to leave the house to go to for a drive. I know it's not the most earth-friendly activity, but it was so darn cold.


It was 49 degrees in the kitchen.

51 degrees in our room.

We had just got back from doing laundry so the clothes on the bed were still a little warm. I stayed in this exact position for over an hour.



In other SoRoHo news....

what are those, you may ask?

WE HAVE NO IDEA.

For some utterly bizarre and completely inexplicable reason, these dirty carrots were soaking in a cup of water on the counter for weeks. We don't know who put them there, or what they were doing with them, but they did occasionally switch them around so the other side could soak for a few days. They swelled up (as the picture details) to quite a hefty size, and then when they got switched they would shrink back down to smaller than they were before.

Really people, weeks of soaking carrots in a cup on the counter.

Then one day, they mysteriously vanished. The cup was gone, the carrots were gone, we didn't see them in the garbage...

Just another day at the South Royalton House--


you really should come visit.

2 comments:

susan m hinckley said...

And a set of shiny spurs . . . and I'm going to make cowboy spaghetti immediately! And you're right, I must come for a visit. Please make sure the heat is working before I get there, or we will all be going to a hotel -- I know . . . in another town.

-Loni said...

I KNEW there were ghosts there! Apparently, carrot-loving-ghosts.