9.12.2008

Let's get this party started right, y'all.


What is going on here? Exactly one week ago I was taking cold showers trying to calm down because it was too darn hot. My how things have changed. Jake and I are realizing that there is at least a forty degree temperature change during the days up here in Vermont. It is very tricky to stay abreast of the current temperature. It has been sixty-one degrees in the kitchen for the last few days, and because the boilers are currently down, there is nothing we can do about it. My nose is permanently icicle-like because it is not much warmer in our room. It was a cool fifty-eight when Jake woke up for work the other day. Luckily by the time I rolled out of bed and into several sweaters and a hat it was up to sixty-two. Our landlady told us in August not to turn the boilers on because it might flood the restauranty basement with boiling lava hot water at any moment, but that was August, and we didn't care. But now it's September, and everything has changed. Last week I was sprawled out on the floor ahhing "Memory" from Cats, this week I'm wrapped up...on the floor...ahhing "Memory" from Cats.

Okay it's not that bad. But I do have to wear a sweater. And a hat. Luckily I have many hats and many sweaters that I need to wear out appropriately before we get to Arizona and the arid Southwest. 

In my Water Resources class, we have shifted from learning about Riparianism, the water law practice of the East, to Prior Appropriation, the water law practice of the West. Many times it class we have made the joke, "why do they even need water law in the West? There's no water there to begin with!" 

It is funny every time. But I suppose it won't be funny when I am forced to drink recycled sewer water and use a composting toilet. Something big is going to go down soon, environmentally, and I want to be a part of it. That's why I need to get this degree and get in on the action! As of now, I'm still hopeful that changes can be made, and that I can save the world. Maybe the profound and soul-devouring desperation won't sink in until finals week. 

Until then, bring it on.

I am ready!


NOW... won't somebody give me a job? 

3 comments:

susan m hinckley said...

Aha -- virgin comment page -- thanks for the speedy "new blog" notice! Believe it or not, I was planning to use that title soon . . . guess you and I think too much alike. Or you just have such great taste in music and you are so willing to share with your mom. Your blog posts (sort of) make me so eager to visit! But not until you get the heater fixed . . . xo

susan m hinckley said...

Me again -- how did I miss the picture the first time? Are you sure you didn't add that later? Or am I falling prey to a slow, creeping insanity . . . . Anyway, give me some context for that dramatic image. What am I seeing and where am I seeing it? Because I hope it isn't my beloved desert west, where I plan to retire.

-Loni said...

Re: going private
I was reluctant at 1st but Bart really wanted me to after Pres. Payne did a 5th Sun. lesson on Internet Safety a few months ago (we were in primary so we missed it.) Then I saw Oprah show with the Smarts on it and he talked about how much kidnapping happens on the internet. So if Pres. Payne can't get me to do it then Oprah can (sad huh?) I just want to make sure I do everything possible as a parent to keep my kids safe--thus going private.