9.05.2008

feel that flow, that salty salty flow!




Today was very warm. Very warm indeed. On Fridays I don't have classes, but while Jake is still in the training phase of his job, he works. So, that means I am left to fend for myself all day in tiny South Royalton without a car, and certainly without air conditioning. For those of you that know me well, you know that I do not do well without air conditioning. It was almost 90 degrees in our room today. When Jake finally came home, I had about lost it. I was lying on the floor in little clothing, talking on the phone with my mom, telling her I needed to take a cold shower. Shortly after that I was in the cold shower, waving my arms wildly above my head ahhing "Memory" from Cats. 

Perhaps this is too much information, but it was so hot.

After the ridiculously long cold shower, I told Jake that I had to get out. And he, being the understanding husband that he is, obliged. We went to Hanover, New Hampshire. An uppity hoity toity little town that is home to a little known school called Dartmouth. 


For those readers that like to see the big picture, I have inserted these maps, so that it can all be taken in together.

We have come to love this little town...I don't know if it is because we like knowing that we are not the Canoe Club kind of people that we are surrounded by, or because we secretly wish we were those Canoe Club kind of people. Either way, it's fun to rub elbows with the big boys every once in a while.

So far in our times in Vermont, we have not been disappointed in our culinary experiences. It seems as if everything out here tastes more, and better. We are developing quite the little food tour for those souls brave enough to venture East of the Mississippi. Last week we went to a place called boloco. It's a swanky little burrito place that made both of our jaws drop and some of the food we were eating actually fall out of our gaping mouths. Tonight was no different. We went to a restaurant called Murphy's on the Green. It boasted "superb food & spirits!" so naturally we could not back down. Also, its soup of the day was artichoke and roasted red pepper. When one encounters such a promising soup, one does not dismiss it without at least a cup and oyster crackers. So we shared a cup of the soup and it was delicious. Jake ordered the meatloaf. Now before I tell you all what I ordered, I want to let you know that some of what Jake has been saying is true: I have blossomed out here. I have been actually trying new things. For so many years of my life, I have travelled to some of the most exotic and expensive restaurants only to order the chicken fingers. Well, Vermont has been the birth of a new me. I even tried raw fish a few weeks ago. I don't even eat aquatic life, but there must be something in the water here, because I can't get enough of this weird weird food (not the seafood...just new food. I still don't like seafood, and I didn't like the fish, but I ate it). At Murphy's, I ordered Pulled Pork Crepes with caramelized onions, watermelon onion salad, and mango sauce. When it came out, the crepes were served directly on top of the watermelon salad, which I wasn't expecting, but I just went with it, and holy cow. I cannot adequately express the festival of flavors that was bouncing in my mouth. It was absolutely delicious. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.

On another note, I have been suffering from a sinus infection for the last few weeks. Because we are currently uninsured (our coverage doesn't begin until late September) I have had to suffer in silence. I learned about some home remedies today and we stopped at the pharmacy to see our options, and decided to try a neti pot. A neti pot is something that looks very much akin to Aladdin's lamp
You fill it with warm water and a saline mix and then stick one end of it comfortably up your nostril. You tilt your head and the full half cup of liquid goes in one nostril, through your face, and out the other side. You must remember to breathe constantly through your mouth, otherwise the salty discharge will go straight down your throat. It was quite an experience. I had stuff coming in one nostril, out my mouth, eyes, and at one point it even felt like my ear. I finally got it to work a little, and although it is not a comfortable procedure, I am hopeful that it will help. Living with sinus infections are no fun, and after ten years, I am ready to try most anything. 
I didn't have quite as much fun as her...


Jake should be about done pre-sleeping now, so I will end with this: if you should ever find yourself in Hanover, wondering what eat, do try the pulled pork crepes. 

They will not disappoint.


6 comments:

Jessie said...

Bon's little sister, Hannah, has that nose-tea-pot thing. We make fun of her.

susan m hinckley said...

Way to grow, blooming girl! Best post ever. I didn't know you were laying on the floor when we were talking. Hope things cool down there soon. But not as much as they're already cooled down here!

Hannah Francis said...

is this really my sister??? raw fish?? pulled pork on top of water melon??? HOME REMEDIES INVOLVING SALINE AND SNOT FOUNTAINS???? well, I am glad that you are growing!!! I wish that my adventures were making me grow, but alas I am becoming more reclusive and hannah-ish. also I am napping too much which has GOT to stop. Do you get panic attacks when it is too hot like linds, cause it is sounding like it...since you don't have insurance right now do you need me to send you some xanax....???? cause i don't want you to go completely crazy while jake is at work-- let me know if you are running the streets naked chanting laws and by laws pertaining to water conservation. Oh-- and i saw some really good cars for the car game...Anal Vibe ... and Anal Frontier... I was quite amused and started laughing out loud to myself and really scared the construction workers I was walking past (which serves them right because I know they have been guilty of hooting at me while I have been on runs)..

-Loni said...

Chelsea- I love reading your blog! You crack me up!

Can you email me your email address? I'm pretty sure you have my address. I'm going private on my blog and I need your email to invite you.

It is so fun reading about you and Jake during your 2nd year now of marriage. (Congrats by the way) I didn't have quite the experience of moving out east to a small town but it still reminds me of my fun times with Bart before kiddos. Don't worry life doesn't end after kids it's just...a new phase in life, equally as fun, just different than what your experiencing now. Good luck with school! We miss you guys out here!

-Loni said...

P.S. that nose thing is disgusting!!

april said...

those pulled pork crepes do sound divine! you make me want some. i do hope you feel better soon. i didn't know vermont had such extreme temp. changes and had the ability to make people so hot in september. no worries - i would be stripping down too (although i'm not sure i could bring myself to cold showers). i'd take winter anyday over summer which i'm sure you'll get very soon. i remember getting a christmas letter from friends in vermont and they talked about all the snowstorms that had received and we in CT had had none and then i remembered we had received a lot of rainstorms. enjoy all those sweaters and hats!!

p.s. i forgot to tell you that one of my closest friend's here is named chelsea and she worked as an environmental hygenist (?spell) for years. she was working on a PhD at one point, but had to stop cuz of lack of funding. i'll have to introduce her to you. and i have heard of composting toilets before, while i don't like the thought, it would be a good thing. but i don't think i want to know much more about recycled sewer water (although the name kind of says it all).