1.08.2009

Everything I Do, I Do It For FOOOOOD

Okay that's a bit of a stretch. But I do enjoy food. A lot. And with one of my current plans allowing for slightly less food than I normally enjoy, I have been realizing my growing obsession with tasty tasty food.

I have never been one for cooking.

But there's something about this teensy tiny kitchen with half-size everything that really brings out the chef in me. I have been making everything lately. I think part of the fun of it all is having our roommate Emily come into the kitchen every day and say, "What are you making today?" and me answering pretentiously, "Well, my dearest Emily, we're starting with a mild tomato and cucumber bruschetta and finishing out the evening with braised balsamic chicken breast and garlic potatoes."


It doesn't really go like that.

But I am having fun making things, and I have the pictures to prove it. Here are a few little dishes I have whipped up recently:




This is a dried green chili crusted chicken breast on a bed of black beans with thin Vermont apple slices on top to keep the chicken moist, then sprinkled with Mexican cheese. It was served with cilantro-lime rice and it was delicious. We also have these funny little mini personal casserole dishes that are proving to be both fun and fundamental to my growth as a culinary artiste.


I wasn't kidding about the bruschetta. These are Vermatoes (Vermont tomatoes) and local cucumbers on local bread. I'm a localvore now. Jake has been loving all the fancy food, as evidenced by his face above.

The bruschetta again. It was tasty, and I don't even like bruschetta. Jake had six pieces the size of my hand, and then a whole bowl of Tuna Helper (I have yet to outgrow my love affair with Helpers of all nations).

This is the braised balsamic chicken with garlic mashed potatoes. I guess I wasn't kidding about that either--though this and the bruschetta were not on the same night. This was phenomenal and my favorite thus far. Let me know if you want the recipe, it was so easy, and it's very healthy.

Did I also mention that I make my own granola bars now? It's cheaper than buying them and they are way healthier, plus they actually fill you up. Also (bonus), no packaging=easier on the landfills=environmentally friendly=good for me!

So I have really been liking making things. Swedish meatballs and chicken stroganoff have become a weeknight staple for us. I feel very strange getting out of the Top Ramen and Mac 'n Cheese world, but it is a beautiful world, and I would like to stay here.



4 comments:

susan m hinckley said...

Will wonders never cease . . . my little chicken fingers girl grows up. If Vermont weren't so far away, I'd be there for dinner every night. That's about the most deliciously beautiful blog post I've ever seen, and I'm not just saying that because it's January and my resolutions have left me really hungry. Next time, give us some of those recipes!

Cory and Sara Jane said...

yummy! I would love the first recipe, the chili chicken w/black beans n' stuff. I would probably make it sans apple slices as meat & fruit don't mesh well in my world! :O)

Amanda Cheniae said...

Uhm, yum! I definitely want that braised chicken recipe!!! I wish I could/would cook like that I am majorly lazy!

Amelia Poll said...

I can't wait for you to come live out here. You'd better believe we will be swapping recipes...and cooking nights :D

I'll take any and all of those recipes. It sounds like you ought to just do a post with the recipes. :)